The North Downs 30k

I signed up for this beauty ages ago, on a whim, and in a fit of post-marathon enthusiasm.
It is listed in Runner's World as "one of the most iconic trail races in the UK and Europe" with challenging hills, exhilarating trails and what look like lovely views.
Now it is looming ahead - this Sunday, sandwiched between a double shift at work and a packed weekend. Needless to say, I am slightly dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time.
The nice thing about doing a race like this for the first time is I have no expectations of myself, except to enjoy the experience and the scenery. Any beautiful poppies (see pic below) will be a bonus and co-ordinate nicely with my red face as I pant along.
In preparation (to make myself feel better) - I did a spot of hill training this weekend - well, up and down a 0.25m hill eight times.  It was actually pretty satisfying. So we will see what this run brings.
It is slightly shy of 19 miles with 430 m ascent - but I am going to think of it as three, very pretty (hopefully) 10ks.
It can't be as hilly as the North Devon half marathon which tracks through soft sand, bean fields and streams, and will undoubtedly be good preparation for the Beachy Head marathon in less than four months time..woo hoo!








Comments

Popular Posts